Eva Unit 02 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

She's here ! I finished Eva Unit 02's helmet last week and I absolutely love it !
Making the pattern was a bit challenging because of the overlapping parts and odd shapes but the result is convincing enough for me. And, this one is wearable, just like Units 00 and 01. What do you think ?

You can make your own Eva Unit 02's helmet, the pattern is available in the Patterns and blueprints section of the blog. I always try to make my patterns as easy to use as possible, but if you happen to have difficulties using it feel free to contact me, I'll gladly help and it helps me improve the patterns.

I explain how I made the Eva unit 02 helmet below the pictures.

  


 

To make Eva Unit 02's head I recommend that you start with building the back of the head, then the top part and attach them together where they overlap. Then you work your way down with the face parts. You can find more detailed pictures below, you can click to enlarge these images, I hope this will help visualizing how it should go.

- One tricky part is the little wings on the sides. There you will have to cut into the foam to open a little flap in the "lower jaw", glue the wing in place and the shut the flap close with glue. It's going to look like the wing is sticking out from the side. The wings should be left hanging until you are done painting, then attach them to the sides with super glue.
- The mouth part is glued on the inside of the helmet. In the pictures below, you can see I left it open at first and added this part later.
- The little "antennas" on the chin are round foam dowels, you can also roll some 2 mm EVA foam to get this shape.
- The eyes are 25 mm wooden buttons from the craft store that i just glued in place. You can as well use googly eyes.
- The top opening is covered with fabric from the inside so that you can see through while wearing the helmet (the way I did it is not pretty but it works).

I hope these instructions help you with your build, and if you have any question, feel free to contact me.