Lynel Mask - The Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild

The Lynel mask from Breath of the Wild is one of my favorites. I wanted to make this one for a long time and I actually made it 3 years after the Bokoblin and Moblin masks. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any pattern for the Lynel mask because I made it free-handed with just a picture as a reference.
I looked at a fur suit tutorial and used the "bucket method" for the base structure. The base structure is made of upholstery foam. I used fleece to cover the face. 
Then I built the horns (they're actually detachable), I made them out of 4mm EVA foam and covered them this pieces of 2mm EVA foam.
I placed the ears made of upholstery foam and fleece, and finally it was time to play with some fluff for the mane !
I sculpted some upholstery foam into shape for the spikes of the mane and covered them with fur before gluing them to the head. 
My Lynel needed a fierce smile so I made the teeth out of self-hardening clay and painted them.
The nose is made of EVA foam and is directly glued on the fleece.
I glued buttons for the eyes, I carved holes in the foam behind the buttons and I can actually see (very poorly) through the buttons holes.
The Lynel mask was almost ready ! The fur on the mane kept on getting messy. I used Got 2 Be Glued hairspray to style all the fluff.

I used over 200 glue sticks on this mask and I've been sniffing fluff for weeks ! It took about 6 weeks to complete this project, and dozens of hot glue burns, but in the end it was one of the project I had the most fun with and I absolutely love the result !


 




Puzzle mode
 
Forming the spikes

Making a dashing smile


A lot of styling required !